Marriage Licenses

Obtaining a marriage license 

1. Both must apply for the license in-person.
2. Both must be 18 years old or older (if either party is under 18, please see below)                                                                                                           NOTE: If an applicant is 17 years of age they may petition the Family Court in the county which the minor resides for an order granting                                permission to marry.  per KRS 402.210 (EFFECTIVE JULY 14, 2018) and Kentucky does not allow issuing of a marriage license if either                                party is under 17 years of age.  
3. Both must present an acceptable form of identification that is not expired                                                                                                                         NOTE: acceptable forms of id  are a United States driver’s license, a passport, or a state issued identification card

  • There is a $50.00 fee for the license which is non-refundable.
  • You can expedite your trip at the clerk’s office by reviewing the application prior to coming to our office and knowing the needed information that is on the MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION
Marriage Ceremony
  • The Boone County Clerks office is only able to issue a marriage license,  we are not able to perform a marriage ceremony
  • Marriages ceremonies can be performed by clergy, elected officials , such as any judges or retired  judges, magistrates, or commissioners,  and certain religious societies.       
  • At least two people, in addition to the parties and the person solemnizing the marriage, must be present at every marriage.

What do we do after we are married?

  • Return the signed marriage license to the Boone County Clerk’s Office by either mailing it back or dropping it off in person.  It will be filed with the County Clerk and a certified copy of the Marriage License will be mailed to the couple.
  • When changing your maiden name, you will take your certified copy of the marriage license to the Social Security Administration. For more Information or questions please contact the Social Security Office .
  • Upon receiving clearance from the Social Security Administration, then you may change your name on your driver’s license. For more Information or questions please contact the Boone County Circuit Clerks Office.

To Obtain a Copy of a Marriage License:

  • You can send written notice to:  Boone County Clerk’s Office P.O. Box 874  Burlington, KY 41005                                 Please include a self addressed pre- stamped envelope for us to send back the marriage license
  • You can also stop by the Burlington office during normal business hours and obtain a copy
    • You will need to know the following information:
      1. First Party/Bride’s First and maiden name
      2. Second Party/Groom’s First and last name
      3. Date of marriage (year)
  • It is $5.00 if you are needing a certified Copy and $0.50 for a regular copy

If you have any further questions in regards to marriage license please call (859) 334-2281.

All Major Credit Cards, Cash, Certified Check, Cashier’s Check, Money Order and Personal Check (county residents).