Personalized And Specialty Plate Options
Standard issue passenger plates (Unbridled Spirit and In God We Trust), the standard issue motorcycle plate, military plates and special plates can be personalized.
Personalized plates are regulated by the Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) 186.174, KRS 186.164 (9) (c) thru (g) and Kentucky Administrative Regulations (KAR) 601 KAR 9:012. For a list and image of all plates, visit the Plate List application page.Application Process:
All personalized plate requests must be pre-approved by the Cabinet’s Personalized Plate Review Committee prior to submitting an application to your County Clerk. To initiate the personalized plate application process, you must complete the following forms and take the necessary steps:
- Visit the Plate List application page to check the availability of the character combination/s of your request. You will do this by clicking on the image of the plate you are interested in and click on the “PERSONALIZE THIS PLATE”.
- Once availability has been checked, submit your online request, click on the "REQUEST THIS PLATE" button.ï¿½€‹
- Upon receipt of your pre-approval notification, take your pre-approval notification to your County Clerk's Office in the county where you reside and complete form TC 96-342, Application for Personalized License Plate. You may download the form and print, or obtain a copy of the form at your County Clerk's Office.
- Pay the $25.00 personalized plate fee to your county clerk. This is in addition to the registration fee applied to each plate. *For a list of plates and their registration fees, visit the Plate List application page.
- All pre-approval notifications will be emailed and/or mailed to the address referenced on the online request form and/or to your County Clerk’s office.
If you have additional questions or concerns you may email these to KYTC.PersonalizedPlates@ky.gov for further assistance or go to https://drive.ky.gov/motor-vehicle-licensing/Pages/License-Plates.aspx