New notary application process
There is a new state wide notary application process that took effect 1/1/2020.
Below are the new steps to becoming a notary & for being reappointed!
You can fill out the Notary application online through the secretary of state website or download the Notary application form and mail the application along with a $10.00 fee made payable to Kentucky State Treasurer to Notary Commissions P.O. Box 821 Frankfort, KY 40602-0821
A written notice will be sent to you stating the Certificate of Appointment can be obtained from the county clerk’s office.
- You have thirty (30) days from the day of your approval to go to the county clerk’s office, at the Burlington location ONLY, to complete the process
- Take the notary oath of office
- Provide an executed insurance bond in the sum of One Thousand ($1,000.00) Dollars as surety . ** You can NO LONGER bring a kentucky property owner to sign for you**
- Provide a valid form of ID. ( Drivers License)
- Pay filling fee which is $19 CASH or CHECK only.
** Failure to post bond and take the oath within thirty (30) days of approval will cause your commission to become void. This will necessitate the submission of a new application and fee to become commissioned as a notary. **
Click here for general notary information from the Kentucky Secretary of State’s website.
Click here for the Notary Public Handbook provided by the Kentucky Secretary of State.
Click here for frequently asked questions regarding notaries and notary services.
For questions please contact the Kentucky Secretary of State
700 Capital Ave., Ste. 152
Frankfort, KY 40601
P: (502) 564-3490
F: (502) 564-5687